27 August 2009

WEEK 31: 30 july 2009 - In memory of my dad...

30 july: we decided to make a slideshow presentation about dad. just a collection of his photos. we didn't get a big collection of photos to choose from because we were in a hurry to make the presentation. the slideshow you will see here is not the same we we used during the wake, but the picture are more or less the same. i just want to share it with you...


i have been away from home for more than 4 years. january 2009 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer. his doctors said he had 2 months to live.only my brother (and his family) in canada, my neice in north caroline and i (and my family) are far from home, we immediately flew to the philippines to be with my dad. we stayed there for a month, we couldn't stay longer. but when i left i promised my dad me and my family would be going back july. so i went back to paris, my neice to north carolina and my brother to canada.

march, april and may passed..it was a miracle that my dad was feeling ok again!! he wasn't taking any pain killers for the cancer. he was fishing, driving around, walking in our neighborhood like he wasn't sick at all. but came june, he caught pneumonia. the doctor warned us about that. i was schedule to come home july 6. the whole of june, i try to contact my dad (thru skype) almost every other day. i wanted him to wait for me....

God is kind. my dad was still alive when we got there. my dad even waited for my husband. and it seemed like everything was already planned...my dad passed away when we were all there, when we still had time to put him to his final resting place and enough time to be with my mom during that grieving time. it was like perfect timing...though i know there is nothing perfect about losing someone.
and just looking at all those photos again makes me miss my dad so much. i am not that sad anymore even if he is gone. but i feel that emptiness that no one else can fill. i just hope that we were able to show that how important he was to us, and that we truly love him.

for my final note, i just want to share this with you... during that last night (july 20) when my dad was in high spirits, he looked at me and told me, 'ikaw si girlie, ano?' (you are girlie, right?) and i answered, 'opo' (yes, dad). then he said, 'ang bait mo...' (you are kind). he said that to me at least twice...and it was his last word to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nalungkot uli ako nung nabasa ko yung blog mo. i miss daddy so much
evry nihgt i say goodnight to him and always guide us where ever we go

merce said...

nice post, good job. it made me cry. i miss dad. even though i got to know him and be with him for the 24 years that i've been alive, somehow that doesn't seem long enough. i know that i knew him longer than any other grandchild he's had but still. part of me thinks he's still home with mommy and he'll be there when i go home. i really miss dad. really. i wish he was still here.

Anonymous said...

very nice and touching, nangingilid ang luha ko. sad dahil daddy left this world, but in a way, no more pains for him, he's resting.
anyway, excellent job. ate mel

bentonflocke said...

your slideshow is beautiful and a fantastic way to remember - the shots ful of love together with the music touched my heart.

God is so great - that he gave your father enough time until you are home in the Philippines.

gabs said...

so glad you all could spent the time with your dad. I am speechless after reading this. I just want to say I am thinking of you (((o)))